History

Founded in Spokane

The Lilac City

AAF Spokane (American Advertising Federation Spokane) has been serving advertising and marketing professionals in Eastern Washington and Northern Idaho for nearly a century. In 1901, three Spokane businessmen set the wheels in motion for the formation of one of the nation’s oldest business ethics groups, the Spokane Advertising Club. These executive pioneers continued on to form the Better Business Bureau Committee, one of the first organizations of its kind. In 1912, the committee affiliated with the national movement and is today known as the Better Business Bureau of Spokane.

The original goal to promote advertising and maintain industry standards flourished as the organization operated as the Advertising and Sales Association of Spokane from 1936 to 1978. Then, in 1978, the organization changed to the Spokane Advertising Federation Ad Club. The name was shortened to Spokane Ad Fed. In 2009 the name was changed again to American Advertising Federation Spokane (AAF Spokane) in order to more closely be identified with the national organization, the American Advertising Federation. And while the Club’s name has changed throughout history, the commitment to the advertising industry still thrives.

Building on this strong foundation, AAF Spokane has evolved to meet the advertising and marketing challenges of the future. Changing to improve the community and be of even greater service to its members by offering programs to enhance business and support of non-profit organizations and to ensure that being a part of AAF Spokane is indeed worthwhile.